Peace Bonds
Peace bonds are a court orders requiring another person to "keep the peace" for a period of time and meet other conditions set by the court. If a person fears harrassment and abuse and has good reason to believe so, they can make and sign a statement called an "Information" stating their reasons. This is usually done at a local RCMP detachment in rural areas or at the Crown Prosecutor`s office in larger communities. The defendent can then be called to appear in court and if the judge finds the complainant (the person who feels harassed) has sufficient grounds, the defendent can be asked to enter into a peace bond. This is not a criminal conviction and the defendent must agree, read and sign the peace bond. If he or she will not, the judge may order a trial and ultimately order a peace bond. The peace bond requires the defendent to: keep the peace, not harm or harass the complainant, not see, phone, write or send messages to the complainant. If the bond is broken, the defendent may be charged and convicted of a criminal offence, be fined or jailed. The complainant should keep a copy of the bond with them at all times and call the police if conditions are broken.
Restraining Orders
Restraining orders are similar to peace bonds but are issued through the family law system and can limit how a person can contact thir spouse or partner if it can be shown that someone`s safety is threatened. Once in place, a restraining order can be enforced by the police.
The Victims of Domestic Violence Act
This Saskatchewan law covers men and women who suffer violence from their live-in partners (married, common-law, or same-sex). It applies to parents of children even if they have never lived together and protects seniors and children living in family relationships. Domestic violence is defined to include the threat of physical harm or damage to property or actual physical harm or property damage, forced confinement, or sexual assault. The law creates three ways to deal with domestic violence:
1) Emergency Intervention Order (EIO)
Gives relief to a victim in an emergency. A victim may ask for an EIO for:
-exclusive occupation of the home
-a police officer to remove the abuser from the home
-a police officer to supervise while the abuser or abused person takes personal belongings from the home
-a restraining order saying the abuser may not contact the victim

Police Officers and Victim Services Coordinators can assist with making these applications and special Justices of the Peace are available at any hour to hear applications and determine if domestic violence has occurred and if the case is urgent enough that it cannot wait for a judge`s hearing. If an EIO is made, the abuser does not have to be present but must be informed and it does not take effect until they receive this notice. The EIO must be confirmed by a judge afterwards within three days of receiving the paperwork and anyone against whom an EIO has been issued may ask a judge to review the order at any time.
2) Victim`s Assistance Order (VAO)
Similar to an EIO but used in non-emergency situations and are for a longer time period. Application is made to a judge for all the types of orders above and others including compensation payment if the victim has suffered loss of money as a result of the abuse (eg: loss of earnings, medical bills, moving and legal expenses). Application is made through the Court of Queen's Bench with assistance of a lawyer or Legal Aid.
3) Warrant of Entry
Warrants of entry are to be used where there is concern about a person who cannot act on their own. A Justice of the Peace may order a police officer to be allowed to enter and search a place only after the potential abuser has refused access to the police officer to see someone who may be a domestic abuse victim. With the warrant, the police officer may enter the premises, assist the potential victim and may remove the victim if necessary.

Built & Maintained with iWEBMANAGER